The New Release Strategy (NRS), launched by the BFI Film Audience Network (FAN) helps ensure the best films from across the globe are seen by more people, in more cinemas, in more regions across the UK.
By working closely with both distributors and exhibitors, this sector-led initiative aims to support the UK market for these films as well as sustain and develop an appetite for cultural cinema across the regions.
The scheme supports six key titles between 2016 and 2017.
Just announced as the latest New Release Strategy release is The Fits, which is available from 24 February 2017 on DCP, and BluRay/DVD.
Anna Rose Holmer’s debut feature film The Fits is a mesmerising and visually beautiful journey from girlhood to adolescence. Everything about this American film speaks of discovery, from its poetic visual style, its brilliantly captivating lead performance (from 11-year-old Royalty Hightower) to the talent behind the camera. These will be names to remember and keep an eye out for.
The Fits is nominated for Best First Feature at Spirit Awards 2017 and Director Anna Rose Holmer is nominated for the Spirit Someone to Watch Award. The film builds on previous audience development initiatives through titles like Mustang and Sonita in targeting young females as a core.
Film Hub members can email Rachael Koczan at Lionsgate to book the film directly. Please note your Film Hub South East membership when enquiring.
Download The Fits US press pack for synopses and interviews to support your screening’s promotion.
Sonita (released by Verve, 28 October 2016).
Sonita dreams of being a famous rapper. But as an Afghan teen living in Tehran, her dreams are dangerous: the Iranian government doesn’t allow girls to sing, and at home, she is expected to become a teenage bride. With the help of filmmaker Rokhsareh Ghaemmaghami, Sonita is offered a chance to turn a dream into a reality but a perilous journey lies ahead.
“An intimate portrait of creativity and womanhood, Sonita highlights the rarely seen intricacies and shifting contrasts of Iranian society through the lens of an artist who is defining the next generation.” – Sundance Film Festival
- Director: Rokhsareh Ghaemmaghami
- Country: Germany/Switzerland/Iran, with English subtitles
- Year: 2015
- Duration: 90m
- Contact information: if you’re interested in watching the film in advance of booking please contact Colin at Verve Pictures to access a screener copy.
The first films in the New Release Strategy to receive support were The Pearl Button (New Wave, 18 March 2016), Mustang (Curzon, 13 May 2016), and Chevalier (STUDIOCANAL, 22 July 2016).
Support available to members
If you are a Film Hub South East member, by screening any of the New Release Strategy films, you can access the following support:
- Film Hub South East can fund up to £150 to cover Cinema+ activities including programme notes, paid-for marketing, talks and speaking costs. (Please note: funding may not be used for the screening licence.)
- A bigger marketing and press campaign, raising visibility and targeting specific audiences in every region of the UK.
- Access to regional preview screenings.
- A comprehensive marketing pack created by exhibitors for exhibitors, with top-quality, tailored content to take the hard work out of reaching your audiences. It will include: web and social media assets; press templates; key national and regional partners and networks to tap into.
- Interesting and alternative shareable content for each of the titles.
Complete our online application form to apply for funding to support your screening of a New Release Strategy title.
- Conversations about cinema – Get insights into some of the best new films from around the globe selected by cinemas involved in the British Film Institute’s Film Audience Network.
- Read the Screen Daily Press Release for the New Release Strategy
- The Time is Now website – a UK-wide celebration of women’s fights and rights on film (to help support Sonita marketing, and Mustang, in particular).
- Have you considered a panel discussion as a Cinema+ activity to support your Sonita screening? We can help you source suitable panellists – just get in touch.